1) Marking and Assessment Boycott — Week 3
We are now in week 3 of our UCU Marking and Assessment Boycott.
We — hourly-paid staff, education directors, Heads of Schools, School managers, admin and operational staff, academic office holders, markers — are currently not:
- marking summative work that contributes to progression or graduation decisions
- assessing summative coursework or presentations
- examining students
- participating in any assessment-related administration such as meetings relating to student progression
- identifying individuals who are participating in the marking and assessment boycott
So far, employers have not budged, instead doubling down on their policy of punitive pay docking — although a few, not the University of Bristol, have changed their disproportionate, draconian approach to pay docking (by deducting a proportion of wages which reflects the actual time spent on marking and assessment, for example).
Bristol UCU Executive Committee, on behalf of the branch, wrote to University Senior Management demanding that the University of Bristol immediately withdraw its current punitive pay docking.
If the University does not immediately cease the institutional implementation of the 50% pay docking policy, Bristol UCU will consult members in a branch ballot on whether to take industrial action.
The University of Bristol has refused to withdraw or amend its current punitive policy. Branch members should expect that ballot shortly.
2) Do Not Complete the ‘Industrial Action Staff Notification’ Online Form
3) “Pay Rise, Not Pay Dock”: Bristol UCU Marking & Assessment Branch Rally, Thursday, 11th May, 13:00-14:00, Peel Lecture Theatre, Geography Building & Branch MAB Briefing, Tuesday, 9th May, 13:00-14:00
Join MAB-ing members and supporters for a campus Branch Rally Thursday next week in the Peel Lecture Theatre. Speak out for the Boycott and against the pay docking.
There is also a Branch MAB Briefing Tuesday lunchtime next week on Teams:
4) Bristol UCU Strike Social, Thursday 11th May, 16:00-18:00, Hamilton House
Join Bristol UCU members for our strike social on Thursday 11th May at Hamilton House.