1) Pay – Update
At UCU Congress this weekend, delegates will be asked to vote on the following proposal: should UCU run a national consultative ballot, asking members whether they accept or reject the final pay offer?
UCU’s Higher Education Committee will then decide to accept or reject on the basis of the ballot result. The ballot will open Monday, 5th June
- A pay increase of 1.7%, with higher increases for the lower paid
- No national negotiation on workload and stress
- No national action on casual contracts pending a joint working group report ‘considering fixed term and variable hours contracts’
In the event of members rejecting the offer, the ballot will also ask if members are prepared to take industrial action or action short of a strike,
The position of the branch and branch delegates is clear. Following the results of the recent branch e-ballot [PDF], and the AGM, Bristol UCU’s position is to accept the pay offer.
In our reply to UCU head office stating our branch position we also noted that a ballot was unnecessary if the overall result of the feedback from individual branches was to accept.
Of those branches that shared their decision, the majority was to accept.
For more information, please read our Bristol UCU blog post ‘Pay, Workload and Next Steps’:
2) Promotion and Progression Review
Bristol UCU’s holding a series of focus groups to discuss all things promotion and progression, part of the University’s review of promotion and progression.
- For Pathway 3 staff – Tuesday 13 June 2017, 1.00 – 2.00 pm, please register:
- For Pathway 2 staff – Tuesday 6 June 2017, 1.00 pm – 2.00 pm, please register:
- For Pathway 1 staff – Thursday 15 June 2017, 1.00 – 2.00 pm, please register:
Bristol UCU branch officers have an initial response to the University’s Pathway 1 Review:
3) National Senior Management Survey
Here’s one survey members may be interested, even if it is very much part of ‘the metric tide’.